Wednesday, September 3, 2014

Review ~ WORTH THE RISK by Stacy-Deanne

Houston music critic Alvin Zak becomes smitten with violinist Madeline Deever from the first moment she lays her bow to her violin to perform a concerto. Sent to review the orchestra, Alvin becomes so enraptured by Madeline that he asks her if he can do a feature on her. The polite, yet elusive Madeline agrees to think it over while declining Alvin’s invitation for coffee. Alvin does not understand Madeline’s abrupt refusal to his invite and it makes him even more interested in getting close to her.

The last thing Madeline is looking for is love since she is harboring a secret that has the power to ruin any potential relationship. Convinced no man would love her enough to accept her situation, she fights off Alvin’s advances, but begins to fall in love with him.

Can Alvin convince Madeline to trust him and give into her feelings or is Madeline destined to spend her life alone?

REVIEW

Worth the Risk is one of those stories that has me torn.  I’m torn as to how I truly feel about the book and how other people will feel about it.  I think it all comes down to what a reader is comfortable with.

Alvin Zak is a Houston music critic who becomes memorized by violinist Madeline Deever, who has the ability to make you feel her music to the depths of your soul.  When asked out, Madeline declines.  But Alvin doesn’t take no for an answer.  

For me, no means no and you NEED to back off.  I felt Alvin was too overbearing and pushy.  It’s like he was a step away from being a stalker.  I was completely put off because of that.  But Madeline’s character seemed to enjoy the “pursuit”, even as she consistently said no.  The only reason I kept reading the book was because I was told that this story was important to the author and I wanted to know why.

This is a short story, but it’s rushed a little too much.  The characters at times talk as if they’ve known each other or have been in a relationship with each other for awhile.  In fact, they've only known each other for a short time, like a week or two.  If you look beyond the timeframe, their actions can be realistic.

I didn’t truly get a feel for the characters and I wasn’t able to connect with them.  I think I would have liked the story more if Alvin would have approached Madeline a little differently.  While I can’t say I enjoyed the book as I hoped to, I can say that I appreciated the message of the book.

Rating: 3

Release Date: August 30, 2014
Book Length:  44 pages (12,636 words)
Source: Publisher
Reviewed by: Kim
Reading Format: Available only in eBook


Purchase Worth the Risk from Amazon or your favorite eRetailer

Places to find Stacy-Deanne:

Follow on Bloglovin

No comments:

Post a Comment

Comments which include links to other sites, or names including links WILL BE CONSIDERED SPAM AND DELETED.

Please be original in your comments. DO NOT comment on multiple posts with the SAME EXACT words. Duplicate comments WILL be considered and marked as spam.