Friday, August 18, 2017

Review ~ TEN DAYS WITH THE HIGHLANDER by Hayson Manning

Ten Days with the Highlander (Love Abroad, #1)
By: Hayson Manning
Genre: Contemporary Romance
Release Date: August 14, 2017
Publisher: Entangled ~Lovestruck


Go-getter Georgia Paxton has ten days to acquire a quaint hotel in the Scottish Highlands for her travel accommodation company before she’s off on her next grand adventure. Too bad the sexy, broody Scot who owns the place is dead against the idea…and that she’s in very real danger of losing their little bet to see who can convince whom first.

There’s no way Callum MacGregor is going to let the gorgeous American turn his tiny hometown over to bored tourists looking to satisfy their Outlander fantasies. He only has ten days to convince her to slow down and see the magic of the town and its people. If he succeeds, he won’t have to run her out of the county. But if he fails, Georgia might run off with his heart.



Hayson Manning has been on my author to read list for awhile now.  I finally got my chance to read her with Ten Days with the Highlander.  Unfortunately, the book and my personality didn't mix well together.

If I say “no” to something or someone that's it.  End of story.  You're risking your life and the lives of future generations if you keep pushing.  Georgia isn't an accept “no” kind of girl.  She just kept pushing and pushing until I started not to like her.  But wait.  I’m getting ahead of myself.

Georgia Paxton is the top salesperson for her company LiveAbout because she doesn't take “no” for an answer.  She arrives in Glenlagan, Scotland and appears to not have done any research on the place.  I honestly don’t know where the idea came from for her to travel to Scotland and purchase the hotel of Callum MacGregor.  Georgia wants to take this quiet quaint little town and turn it into a tourist mecca.  

Callum MacGregor has done the corporate thing and barely survived with his soul.  He loves his hometown the way it is and doesn't want to have it changed by tourists arriving and trampling all over it.  He knows first hand what corporate greed can do and wants to protect the elders in town.  

After Callum turns down Georgia’s offer, he’s nice enough to show her around town, hoping that she will appreciate all of its history and beauty.  But Georgia is all business and truly can’t see the beauty in things.  She thinks money is the key to everything.

As I mentioned, I had a little trouble with Georgia and her pushiness.  I also didn’t like that at times, the Scottish characters came off sounding like Americans trying to be Scottish.

Here’s what I liked about Ten Days with the Highlander ~ The meet cute in the beginning was definitely something I could see myself doing.  It brought a smile to my face.  There’s a goat!!!  I never would have thought that I would like a goat being in a romance book, but I did.  She didn’t even eat anything and she had this charming little obsession.  The back and forth banter between Callum and Georgia was what made the book worth reading.  It allowed you to see how good they could be together.  I liked the way that the conflict between them was resolved and it was rather sweet.  

**Received a copy of the book from the publisher and voluntarily reviewed.**

Rating: 3

Purchase Ten Days with the Highlander from:



I love Princess Bride, Young and the Restless, Days of our Lives—the drama is deliciously addictive. Big Bang Theory but will take Wolowitz over Cooper. Star Trek not Star Wars. Undercover Boss, Secret Millionaire—any story that shows the little guy making it. I follow the Buffalo Bills like a religion. I am spellbound by showjumping and equestrian eventing.  I love curling up and reading all books—no genre is off-topic. I like ironing, hate peas, love donkeys. I play a killer game of Scrabble, but usually lose. I will often be heading towards the fridge for another Diet Coke. I eat nothing with legs and believe wine goes with everything, oh and I’m an expert at finding new and inventive ways to avoid exercise.

I live in the sparkly beachside suburb of Redondo Beach in California with my fake Gordon Ramsay and two boys who speak in mystifying grunts.

Places to find Hayson Manning:

Follow

No comments:

Post a Comment

Comments which include links to other sites, or names including links WILL BE CONSIDERED SPAM AND DELETED.

Please be original in your comments. DO NOT comment on multiple posts with the SAME EXACT words. Duplicate comments WILL be considered and marked as spam.