Monday, December 8, 2014

Review ~ PERSONAL GEOGRAPHY by Tamsen Parker

Personal Geography (The Compass, #1)
by: Tamsen Parker
Series: The Compass
Genre: Erotic Romance
Release Date: December 1, 2014
Source: Author

Powerhouse consultant India Burke is notorious for her razor-sharp mind, her incisive tongue, and for always being in control. But during her “lost weekends”—out-of-town, one-and-done, anonymous rendezvous solely for the purpose of kinky sex—she craves a submissive role.

Cris Ardmore, India’s latest tryst, is a Dominant who calls an isolated Hawaiian paradise home. India’s expecting forty-eight hours of contractually defined sex, but instead of serving as just another BDSM Band-Aid, Cris wants to know the real India Burke. Despite her aversion to anything approaching intimacy, India is hooked by their incredible sexual chemistry.

With tension ratcheting up in her professional life, India needs the release Cris offers more than ever, but her repeated visits come with their own risks. No matter how strong their attraction, India is determined to maintain her boundaries in order to keep her life whole after her first love blew it apart. She must choose between taking a chance and handing Cris the road map to her heart or locking down her borders before he does any more damage.

REVIEW
If you like BDSM, kink and a D/s partnership that isn’t far-fetched and unrealistic, Personal Geography is that.  Tamsen Parker has a great writing voice and has created a story that, whilst not perfect for me, grabbed me.  The story left me dangling over the fiery pits of hell as it ends on a doozy of a cliffhanger.  I don't cope well with cliffhangers and therefore can guarantee I shall be reading the next book.

“Let the games begin, pet”.

In her daily life India Burke is a confident, career-focussed, strong woman - she knows what she wants and she goes for it.  The same applies to her role as submissive; she needs a dominant man to control her and sate her desires, she’s experienced and she knows her limits.  Yet she has vulnerabilities and when Cris Ardmore becomes her Dom, he may be greeted by Kit, her submissive alter-ego, but it isn’t long before he starts to work his way through India's steely exterior.

“You’re going to be a good, compliant girl for me, and if you’re not, the consequences will be severe.  Are we understood?”
“Yes, sir.”
I liked Cris, he read like a Dom and not like and alpha on a power trip. Grounded and thoughtful, a sub isn’t just a plaything to him and it was refreshing to be greeted with a 39 year old, slightly greying, sexy man who shows respect, consideration and isn’t dripping with wealth or arrogance.  In other words normal, but I wanted more from him.  I didn't feel like we got to know him.  India…she frustrated me, she has so many faces and I must admit I struggled to warm to her.  I love a strong-willed woman, but at times she came across as over-confident, heartless and each time she started to win me over, she went and pulled a stunt that put her back to square one.  But to cut her some slack, she does have insecurities and understandably so; there were parts when I felt for her and when she opened up I liked her and together she and Cris had a great chemistry.
“…you think the way to make it go away is for me to beat the living s**t out of you.  I’m not going to.  You’ve had enough.”
As for the sexual content, it’s plentiful, sexy, kinky and one scene was particularly educational.  On the whole an enjoyable read but I just felt that it jumped about a little in time (I’m not actually sure what period we covered) and whilst we discover a great deal about India, Cris felt under developed. Something I have hope will be addressed in the next book, Intimate Geography; I'm looking forward to seeing how the story unfolds.

Rating: 3.5

Purchase Personal Geography from:

Places to find Tamsen Parker:

No comments:

Post a Comment

Comments which include links to other sites, or names including links WILL BE CONSIDERED SPAM AND DELETED.

Please be original in your comments. DO NOT comment on multiple posts with the SAME EXACT words. Duplicate comments WILL be considered as and marked as spam.