Friday, November 16, 2012

The Christmas Grandma Ran Away from Home by Nancy Warren

For every woman who’s ever felt overwhelmed and under-appreciated at Christmas comes the story of decent woman, a widowed grandmother, respected matriarch of a big, noisy family who snaps one holiday season and decides to run away for the holidays. Little does she realize what adventures are in store.

Long time widow, Sandy Forbes is breaking out this Christmas. In her 71 years on earth, she has stuffed and cooked 55 Christmas turkeys, baked hundreds of pies, turned out thousands of shortbread cookies and hoisted enough pine trees in living room to reforest the Amazon. Her family loves her. They come to her for every occasion, eating, drinking, squabbling and then leaving her with a mess of dishes and crumpled holiday wrap. But this is the year everything changes. When she wants someone else to take over for one year, the family lays a big guilt trip on her and Grandma rebels. Sandy’s giving herself a gift this Christmas. She’s running away from home for the holidays.


READ YOUR WRITES REVIEW

I LOVED THIS STORY. I read the sample and knew I just had to get it. In the beginning, I found it to be funny with oh my gosh, I can’t believe that just happened moments. I then moved on to being upset for Grandma Sandy.

Sandy Forbes is a widowed mother to three married sons and seven grandchildren. She just wants someone to say thank you sometimes and offer to cook and/or host Christmas dinner for once. With a LARGE family that includes her kids, their spouses, grandkids, sister, nieces and nephews and cousins, is that REALLY too much to ask for? Apparently so. When her kids and sister keep pushing her to change her mind by saying how selfish she is, she does what anyone would do, she runs away from home, to enjoy her holiday.

Planning isn’t all it’s cracked up to be and Sandy soons discovers she didn’t know what she was getting herself into. I will admit, at some point I was afraid of what was going to happen. I just found this story to be very sweet and touching. Yes, it’s very short. But I could care less. I got everything I wanted in this little short book.

I love Sandy and wish that she was real so I could actually get to know her and spend time with her. I love that Sandy discovered that she’s more than what her family, friends, and town thinks she is. I love that for once in her life she allowed herself to have an adventure.

I received this book as a gift from the author. But I was actually going to buy it myself.

Rating: 5 (Oh my gosh. I loved this book.)

To find out more about Nancy and her many other books visit her website.

The Christmas Grandma Ran Away from Home is available for your Kindle.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Comments which include links to other sites, or names including links WILL BE CONSIDERED SPAM AND DELETED.

Please be original in your comments. DO NOT comment on multiple posts with the SAME EXACT words. Duplicate comments WILL be considered and marked as spam.