Monday, July 28, 2014

Review ~ FORBIDDEN KISS by Shannon Leigh


Jule Casale is the perfect daughter. Obedient. Trustworthy. Loyal.  With her high profile Italian family, her public image must be impeccable. And now to gain the respect and position she's desired in the academic world, she hopes to discover the unknown artist behind a masterpiece of Renaissance art. 

Rom Montgomery seeks the unobtainable: forgiveness. Those who could grant him relief are dead. Instead, he wanders across continents and through time searching for salvation and the means to right an ancient wrong. But when Jule comes knocking on his door, it's the closest he's ever come to finally finding redemption. The closer Rom draws to correcting his past mistakes, the more his secrets threaten to destroy the woman who might hold the key to his future.
REVIEW
I must admit I struggled a little with Forbidden Kiss at first. What I will say is persevere, it pays off and I was hugely surprised. The first 25% sets the story and whilst I feel it was a little drawn out, when realisation hit me, it was one of those moments where I couldn't quite believe I didn't make a connection as to the building storyline. In hindsight, what Shannon Leigh has done starts out subtle and is clever.

Jule Casale is from a high profile family. Recently divorced and focussing on her career, she is determined to discover the history behind a piece of artwork and her investigation leads her to Rom Montgomery; a lost soul, wandering time seeking redemption. The redemption trope is one I adore and their journey meanders along quite nicely until 40% when it became a book I didn't want to put down. I had an inkling I knew where Rom and Jule's journey was heading, yet it still held suspense. The lost soul in Rom brought feeling, yet the protector in him was attractive, sexy and I loved that on the whole, he didn't fight his feelings. Nor did Jule, who was a strong determined lady. They were lovely together and had a chemistry that brought intimacy, understanding and emotion.

Whilst I was a touch disappointed at how quickly it was wrapped up - I would've liked to have seen how Jule's parents reacted to events and felt it would have benefitted from an epilogue - on the whole it was an enjoyable read. It's different to any paranormal romance I've read before and that is no bad thing.

Rating: 3.5

Release Date: July 28, 2014
Book Length: 200 pages
Source: Entangled Publishing via NetGalley
Reviewed by: Nicola
Reading Format: Available only in eBook


Purchase Forbidden Kiss from Amazon, Amazon UK or your favorite eRetailer

Places to find Shannon Leigh:

Follow on Bloglovin

No comments:

Post a Comment

Comments which include links to other sites, or names including links WILL BE CONSIDERED SPAM AND DELETED.

Please be original in your comments. DO NOT comment on multiple posts with the SAME EXACT words. Duplicate comments WILL be considered as and marked as spam.