Monday, May 10, 2021

Review ~ EMBER OF NIGHT by Molly E. Lee

Ember of Night (Ember of Night, #1)
by: Molly E. Lee
Series: Ember of Night
Genre: YA Paranormal Romance/Angels and Demons
Release Date: May 5, 2021
Publisher: Entangled Teen
Amazon | Paperback | Barnes & Noble | iBooks | Kobo | Google Play | Goodreads

Perfect for fans of Cassandra Clare, Michelle Hodkin, and Becca Fitzpatrick, this epic angels-and-demons YA series combines all the best tropes of the genre: pulse-pounding romance, epic worldbuilding, and plenty of twists and turns.

Some days are hell...Some days, hell finds you

I am a weed.

Unloved by my abusive, alcoholic dad. Unwanted by my classmates. Unnoticed by everyone else.

But I’d suffer anything to give my kid sister a better life—the minute I turn eighteen, I’m getting us the hell out of here. And some hot stranger telling me I am the key to stopping a war between Heaven and Hell isn’t going to change that.

Let the world crumble and burn, for all I care.

Draven is relentless, though. And very much a liar. Every time his sexy lips are moving, I can see it—in the dip of his head, the grit of his jaw—even if my heart begs me to ignore the signs.

So what does he want?

I need to figure it out fast, because now everyone is gunning for me. And damn if I don’t want to show them what happens when you let weeds thrive in the cracks of the pavement…

We can grow powerful enough to shatter the whole foundation.



Molly E. Lee has been on my reading wishlist for a while now. In fact, I have a couple of her books. However, Ember of Night, her first YA paranormal romance is the one that finally introduced me to Molly’s work.

From the cover to the blurb, I was intrigued by Ember of Night. I honestly had no idea what to expect. Harley Ward is the heroine of the story. She’s physically, emotionally, and verbally abused by her father. These abuses are actually described and done in real-time throughout the story, occurring almost nightly. For the last five years, Harley has worked for a man named Nathan at Miller’s Deli. Any money she’s earned has been used to pay rent to her father and on little splurges of food, entertainment, and art supplies for her seven-year-old sister Ray. Whatever money she has left is saved so that when she turns eighteen she can get her own apartment and move out, hopefully with Ray.

Harley’s life is far from perfect and it definitely isn’t easy. She’s a week away from her eighteenth birthday and her chaotic life is about to get turned upside down. It starts with Draven, the guy she meets and dances with at a concert. He then becomes her new co-worker at the deli. The two have this push and pull connection. Draven has Harley pegged and it scares her. But she also sees bits of herself in him. Harley’s best friend Kai seems to be leary of Draven and thinks she should stay away from the guy.

“I’d give anything to get into a freak accident and then suddenly have the power to destroy my enemies.” Be careful what you wish for. As Harley’s birthday gets closer she finds herself being attacked by demons of all things, and thrust into a world she didn’t know existed. Through all the fights, Harley knows two things: 1) she must protect Ray, Nathan, and Kai at all costs, and 2) Draven knows more than he’s telling her. “Even an ember of night can be a beacon in the darkness.” All her life, Harley has thought of herself as being a nobody. Someone who is unimportant and weak. “My whole life I’ve been beaten down. Everyone treating me like I’m a weed. An ugly thing that didn’t belong, but you know what weeds do?” They thrive when no one is watching. Harley is everything. She’s brave, sassy, loving, and caring. She doesn’t back down. Harley doesn’t know it yet, but she’s set to become a key player in saving the world.

Ember of Night was such an engrossing story. Outside of all the abuse that Harley endured, I loved this book. The story is told in first person, from Harley’s viewpoint. As a reader, I think this helps to truly visualize what’s happening. Harley and Draven are great characters that you immediately find yourself rooting for. Their banter is fun and their chemistry is off the charts. Ray will steal your heart with her innocence that only a child can possess, while at the same time showing wisdom and understanding beyond her years. Ember of Night will take you on a wild, emotional ride, where you don’t know exactly who you can trust. Danger is always lurking in the shadows. I was on the edge of my seat more times than I can count. I loved the shock and awe of the final chapter when everything became crystal clear. The ending was perfect and left me wanting more. I am so looking forward to the next book in this series.

~ Favorite Quotes ~

“True friendship is often the basis for deeper love.”

“First impressions should be trusted.”

“People usually tell you more of who they are in those initial few moments of meeting them than they do in an entire lifetime afterward.”

“Trust is both a gift and a curse. Heady in the right hands and a weapon in others.”

“Everything you need to know about anyone can be found in their eyes. In the moments when they think no one is looking.”

“Just because something is damaged doesn’t mean it isn’t beautiful. All things have value. Don’t let anyone tell you differently.”

“Listen to your instincts.”

“We can’t let fear steal your chance at living.”

“You are what you decide to be.”

“You’re stronger than you know.”


**Received a copy from the publisher and voluntarily reviewed it.**

Rating: 5

Purchase Ember of Night from:

Molly E. Lee is an author best known for her romance novels, Ask Me Anything, the Grad Night series, and the Love on the Edge series. She is a 1001 Dark Nights Discovery Author for 2017. Molly writes Adult and Young Adult contemporary featuring strong female heroines who are unafraid to challenge their male counterparts, yet still vulnerable enough to have love sneak up on them. In addition to being a military spouse and mother of two + one stubborn English Bulldog, Molly loves exploring the outdoors around her mountain home, and digging for treasures in antique stores.

Places to find Molly E. Lee:


Follow

No comments:

Post a Comment

Comments which include links to other sites, or names including links WILL BE CONSIDERED SPAM AND DELETED.

Please be original in your comments. DO NOT comment on multiple posts with the SAME EXACT words. Duplicate comments WILL be considered as and marked as spam.