Tuesday, February 9, 2021

Interview & Excerpt ~ A STOLEN KISS WITH THE MIDWIFE by Juliette Hyland

A Stolen Kiss with the Midwife
by: Juliette Hyland
Genre: Contemporary Medical Romance
Release Date: February 1, 2020
Publisher: Harlequin Medical Romance
Amazon | Paperback | Barnes & Noble | iBooks | Kobo | Google Play | Goodreads

Dare these best friends...

...risk it all?

Midwife Quinn Davis and Dr. Milo Russell have been friends forever. So why is it now that they're working together things have become...awkward? Quinn can't get Milo out of her mind--and when they share an explosive kiss, she's left questioning everything! Free-spirited Quinn never planned on settling down...and Milo has a life plan of his own. Are they ready to think about a new life--together?

From Harlequin Medical: Life and love in the world of modern medicine.


Hi Juliette. Welcome to Read Your Writes Book Reviews. How are you?
Kim, thanks so much for having me on the blog. I am doing well, looking forward to a new year and hoping it’s better for everyone.

Fingers crossed. Congratulations on your latest release, A Stolen Kiss with the Midwife. What can you tell me about the story?
I wrote this story for my sister. Medical romances are her favorite Harlequin line. We bonded over medical romances when I was on bedrest with my oldest and she was deployed to Iraq. I sent several in each of the care packages we mailed to give her a boost. All these years later, it was thrilling to merge our favorite tropes. Hers is midwives and mine is best friends to lovers. What emerged was Quinn's and Milo’s happily ever after.

I love that. Tell me about Quinn and Milo.
Quinn is a free-spirit who has spent her adult life as a traveling nurse, but her heart has been seeking the home that she never really felt she got growing up.

Milo is the quintessential planner...in other words he is me. I actually have the whiteboards that are in his office. My office is a small part of my bedroom I carved out with a tiny desk and the boards are my closet door that I turned into whiteboards a few years ago. He is task-oriented and yet desperately wishes he wasn’t too-which I think most “planners” can relate too.

Yes. I can totally relate. I know I plan a little too much. What do you love about them individually and together?
I love how Quinn makes things her own. Her home was bright and colorful. It was her happy place, and she didn’t care that it might not be trendy. She wanted a brilliant yellow kitchen, and she gave that to herself.

Milo really cares for others. He is tightly wound and very hard on himself, but that does not translate into him being tough on others or trying to hold them to the very high standards he has placed on himself.

Together they bring out the best in each other, which I know is cliche, but Quinn helps Milo relax and he grounds her. Together they make each other happy and is there anything more we can hope for from those we love?

I don’t think so. What was your favorite part of the book to write?
I loved writing their first kiss and when they try to walk it back. They are each excited about their relationship changing and then terrified of what it means. It was so much fun to write them trying to put the lightning back in the bottle.

Tell me about one of your favorite scenes from the book, and why is it a favorite?
The kitchen scene! Without giving too much away, Milo does something so incredibly sweet for Quinn with his kitchen so she feels like she has a home with him. It wasn’t written in my synopsis but it popped in one night as I was laying in bed. My editor loved it too. I think it resonated because romance is often these small gestures that might not be movie magic but make real people feel their partner’s love on a deep level.

I completely understand that. Sometimes, the smallest little gestures are more powerful and more meaningful than over the top ones. Just for the record, I think the kitchen scene was sweet. Was there anything that surprised you about this story?
Every story is different, but this one was easy to write. Something about Quinn and Milo really resonated with me from the beginning. As I said above, best friends to lovers romance is my favorite trope. I love it; I will read it in any form from historical to paranormal. So maybe that was why writing this one was easier. I wish I could capture that easy ride feeling with all my books, though my editor might frown if I just wrote best friends to lovers all the time.

Can you tell me a fun fact or two about A Stolen Kiss with the Midwife?
Harlequin/Mills and Boon used A Stolen Kiss with the Midwife during their Romantic Novelists Association conference presentation to demonstrate conflict. It was an amazing feeling to see my book on the screen as the editors talked to other authors about craft and how Quinn and Milo’s story worked.

I set it in San Diego, California and I had to talk with my editor and the copy editor on why what seems like short physical distance between two cities might be too much for a couple given the traffic. I’ve traveled there for business several times and spent far too long in that traffic sprawl. It was funny, and I am a little jealous, that our friends across the pond didn’t have a full reference for it.

Wow. That’s such a huge honor to have your story used to demonstrate a topic. And let’s be honest, going from one side of a major city to the other side is a major challenge. L.A. and San Diego traffic is no joke. One final question. What do you hope or want readers to take away from this story?
The main theme that I play with in all my books and very much in this one, is that everyone is enough to deserve a happily ever after. I think all of us have something that we fixate on about ourselves and we assume this "flaw" is something that everyone is seeing and judging it. But the truth is that those who love us often never see, or at least don't care about, that flaw. My characters are guaranteed a happily ever after, even if they have to fix their internal flaw to get it. My hope is that my readers all know that no matter who they are, or who they love, they are worthy of finding someone who just sees their best selves.

I love that. Juliette, thank you so much for taking the time to answer some questions for me. Congratulations again.

Her shoulder-length hair was damp, and she was wearing borrowed clothes, but she was perfection. Her high cheekbones had a few freckles that his thumb ached to trace. How could he ask her if she’d ever thought of changing their relationship? If her heart had yearned like his for something more?

They ate in silence. The tension made Milo ache. Or maybe he was imagining it. After all, they hadn’t eaten anything other than a few granola bars since their croissants this morning.

Once her plate was empty, Quinn leaned her elbows on the table, propped her head in her palms, and stared at him. “We have a problem, you know.”

Milo smiled. “We do?” Her full lips were calling to him. If she brought up the emotions charging the air around them, would it save him from having to find the right path to address their relationship? No. Thinking it through still held more appeal. Rushing only messed things up.

How many times did he have to prove that?

“Dishes!” She winked and pushed back from the table.

“Dishes?” Milo’s head spun. “Dishes?” He hadn’t meant to repeat the question, but his brain was incapable of finding any other response. He was thinking of kissing her, of changing everything, and Quinn was thinking about dishes?

Could he have misread the situation more?

Quinn leaned over and pecked his cheek. It was an innocent action. One she’d done hundreds of times over the years. “Yes.” Her gaze held his as she gathered the plates and rose. “If we’d just eaten from the cartons, the cleanup would be so much easier.”

“But the dinner would have been less satisfying,” Milo murmured, standing, as well.

Like that peck?

It wasn’t what he wanted. What he craved.

“Exactly!” Quinn’s smile sent a thrill through him. “I’ve eaten off disposable plates in so many places. You don’t realize what a luxury such simple things are until they aren’t an option.” She yawned, raising the plates over her head as she tried to cover the motion with her arm.

Milo took the dishes from her hands and laid them in the sink. “We’ve had a long day. I think they can wait until tomorrow.”

She leaned against the counter, millimeters from him. “Today was certainly something.”

Pushing the hair away from her left cheek, Milo nodded at her stitches. “And you got a permanent souvenir.”

“A minor flaw. At least I’m presentable.”

“No.” Milo shook his head. “You are gorgeous.” Without thinking, he let his fingers brush the softness of her cheek. Her skin was cool, but his fingers burned as he—finally—traced the line of freckles on her jaw. “Breathtaking. Smart. Courageous.” Sexy. He barely caught that word. Over the years, he’d tried to combat the negativity he’d heard Quinn voice when she’d talked about herself. If only she could see what he saw. But tonight, so much more rested on his compliments.

Before his brain could comprehend what was happening, Quinn’s lips connected with his.

Milo’s arms wrapped around her waist and he pulled her to him. He didn’t want any distance between them. Her fingers slid up his neck, ran through his hair, and Milo felt the world shift.

This was right. Quinn in his arms, her lips pressing against his. It made all reason leak from his brain.

Purchase A Stolen Kiss with the Midwife from:

You can read my review of A Stolen Kiss with the Midwife here.

There's also another excerpt from A Stolen Kiss with the Midwife you can read here.

Juliette Hyland began crafting heroes and heroines in high school. She lives in Ohio, USA, with her prince charming, who has patiently listened to many rants regarding characters failing to follow the outline. When not working on fun and flirty happily ever afters, Juliette can be found spending time with her beautiful daughters, giant dogs or sewing uneven stitches with her sewing machine.

Places to find Juliette Hyland:


Follow

No comments:

Post a Comment

Comments which include links to other sites, or names including links WILL BE CONSIDERED SPAM AND DELETED.

Please be original in your comments. DO NOT comment on multiple posts with the SAME EXACT words. Duplicate comments WILL be considered as and marked as spam.