Wednesday, May 11, 2022

Interview & Excerpt ~ IN TOO DEEP by Shannyn Schroeder

In Too Deep (The Doyle Family, #1)
by: Shannyn Schroeder
Series: Doyle Family
Genre: Contemporary Romance
Release Date: April 26, 2022
Amazon | Paperback | Barnes & Noble | iBooks | Kobo | Google Books | Goodreads

Love can heal...or devastate. Trouble is, the difference isn't clear until you're In Too Deep to escape...

Ronan Doyle needs the truth. He can't let his family declare their missing father dead when there are still so many unanswered questions. He's sure the Cahills have answers. After all, they're part of almost every dirty deal in Chicago. So, he'll get what he needs—even if means working for the enemy. But there was one thing he wasn't ready for. Her...

Chloe McCarthy can't believe Ronan is back home. She'd had such a crush on him in high school. Too bad he never saw past her good girl reputation. But that all might change very soon. Her job gives her access to information Ronan needs, and that gives her access to what she needs. Ronan...

It was supposed to be a simple arrangement. He'd get information, she'd get a sexy, friend-with-benefits. But Ronan and Chloe are about to find out there's no such thing as simple when hearts are on the line.

In Too Deep, book 1 in The Doyle Family series, is a steamy, lightly angsty, grumpy/sunshine, opposites attract contemporary romance full of big, Irish families, even bigger emotions, and a guaranteed happily ever after.


Hi Shannyn. Welcome back to Read Your Writes Book Reviews. How are you?
I’m doing well. Thank you. It’s so good to be back at Read Your Writes!

I’m so glad you feel that way. The Doyle family is your next family saga. What can you tell me about them?
The Doyle family consists of 7 siblings – 6 men and 1 woman and their mother. Twenty years ago, the father, Michael Doyle, went missing. Needless to say, the event changed the dynamics in their family and the effects of his disappearance deeply affected each of his children.

What’s the connection between the Doyle family and the O’Leary and O’Malley families?
The Doyle family lives on the same block as the O’Learys and the O’Malleys. Ronan Doyle was briefly introduced at the annual block party scene in From Your Heart.

What can readers expect from this series?
Readers can expect more of the family dynamics between siblings that they are used to from me. Each sibling will face his/her own challenges with finding their HEA, especially with the meddling nature of siblings. Each book will be able to be read as a stand-alone as each sibling falls in love, but reading them in order will give you a deeper understanding of the family.

In Too Deep is the first book in your Doyle Family series. Tell me about it.
Ronan Doyle returns home at the 20th anniversary of his father’s disappearance. Many of his siblings want to finally have him declared dead, but Ronan needs answers. He knows that the men behind the shady construction company that his father worked for know something. He decides to work for them to find those answers. In the process, he runs into Chloe McCarthy, the sweet girl who grew up across the street. He discovers that she has access to the same men he wants information from. And, of course, as their paths continue to cross, their attraction grows.

Please tell me about Ronan Doyle and Chloe McCarthy.
Ronan Doyle is a grunty, grumpy hero. I wrote him before I knew who Roy Kent (from Ted Lasso) was, but if I had to compare Ronan to anyone, it would be Roy. Chloe has a good girl reputation that never quite fit who she is. She’s upbeat and outgoing and a little dirty—not that she ever lets her family see those sides to her.

Why do you think they work as a couple?
Ronan and Chloe work as a couple because Chloe can be exactly who she is around Ronan. He quickly learns that the good girl reputation isn’t really her and he likes what he learns. Being free to be herself allows her to show Ronan that he is worthy of love and that it doesn’t matter who his father is or what happened. He’s worthy in his own right.

What was your favorite part of In Too Deep to write and why?
Since Chloe and Ronan knew each other as teenagers, it’s not really a meet cute, but I LOVE the first scene of the book. I originally wrote the scene at the bonfire at the annual block party in From Your Heart. But I knew that I needed to rewrite that scene from Ronan’s POV. It immediately sets the stage to show their attraction and Ronan’s desire to stay away from Chloe.

Can you tell me about one of your favorite scenes from the book, and why is it a favorite?
Ooo...this one is tough. I think the scene where Chloe has a miserable day is probably one of my favorites. She hasn’t been able to connect with Ronan, everything at work goes wrong (a kid pukes on her), she gets her period, and her showerhead falls off and conks her in the head. When Ronan calls, she tells him it’s not a good time. He shows up at her apartment and just takes care of things without expecting anything in return.

That honestly sounds really good and nice. Are there any fun facts about In Too Deep? If so, can you please share some?
When I originally wrote the beginning of In Too Deep, I planned to shop it to publishers, so I didn’t name any of the O’Learys or O’Malleys in the opening scene – at least not to draw attention to the fact they had their own series. But when I decided to self-publish the series, I went all out and decided I could not only mention these people that I love, but they could make appearances throughout the series. Besides the opening block party scene, we get some more time with Jimmy and Seamus O’Malley.

What’s next for you and for this series?
I’m currently working on Declan’s book (In Fine Form) and hope to have it out later this year.

Shannyn, thank you so much for taking the time to answer some questions for me.
Thank you so much for having me!

In this scene, Chloe is driving Ronan home because his brother Brendan left him at the bar. Chloe keeps flirting with him and he’s trying to show restraint. When they get to his house, his brother Declan is sitting on the front steps. Brendan had sent him over to crash.

Ronan was going to kill Brendan. Or maybe hug him. He couldn’t decide which. He didn’t know if he had the restraint he would need to keep his hands off Chloe—especially since she kept talking about them fucking. How was he supposed to see her only as a friend when her words made him picture her naked and writhing beneath him?

Lucky for him, Declan’s presence doused all thoughts of sex. So while he might consider thanking Brendan for sending Declan over, mostly he wanted to punch his brother. Declan was a pain in his ass at best, a free-loader at worst. The man hadn’t held a steady job or place to live in years.

He flicked on the light in the living room to reveal the bare space. His recliner and TV were the only fixtures in the room.

“Uh, this is kind of sad, Ronan,” Chloe said.

“In my defense, I’ve been focusing on other rooms. The bathroom and my bedroom are done. I’ve started the kitchen.” He continued walking, turning on lights as he went.

Declan went straight to the kitchen. “Holy shit. This is your idea of started?”

He clapped his brother on the shoulder. “I got the demo done. Now it needs to be cleaned up. That’s what you’re here for.”

“The demo’s the fun part.”

“Yeah, well, talk nice to me and I’ll let you help with the demo when I do the upstairs.”

Chloe squeezed by, the curves of her body brushing against him. “Wow. I bet this will look amazing when you’re done.”

“That’s nice of you to say, but I don’t even have a plan yet. I just knew I needed to get rid of the counters and cabinets from the seventies.”

She spun and held up a hand. “Have your mom or Nessa help you figure out how to do this. You need a woman’s touch.”

Declan laughed. “That’s sexist of you. Men can be very good in the kitchen.”

She scoffed. “I’m sure there are men who love to cook. However, I’ve been around Doyle boys my whole life and I’ve never seen any of you help your mom in the kitchen.”

“Ouch.” Declan slapped a hand on his chest. “Words hurt, Chloe.”

She burst into laughter. It was deep and throaty and made Ronan’s imagination get dirty all over.

Ronan turned away. “The upstairs is old bedrooms and I haven’t done anything up there yet.”

“Dude. You’ve been here, what, a couple months?” Declan asked.

“Some of us have regular jobs. By the time I get home from work most days, the last thing I want to do is put my toolbelt back on. Besides, it’s my own place to live.” He led them down the short hall and pointed. “Bathroom. Bedroom.”

Chloe peeked into the bathroom and then strode fully into his bedroom. He had taken his time in here. He wanted a place to relax.

“I’m impressed. I half expected to walk into a TV-comedy-level bachelor pad. You know, beer bottles and pizza boxes covering all the surfaces, dirty clothes piled on the floor.”

“I haven’t lived like that for a lot of years. Regardless of your Doyle boys comment, I am an adult.”

Her cheeks flushed pink. “I take that back. You are obviously a grown man.”

Her eyes met his and there was no mistaking the heat exchanged between them.

“Dude. You have a king-size bed. That’s huge,” Declan said.

Ronan closed his eyes. “Don’t even think about it. I’m not sharing my bed with you.”

Declan sighed. “Fine. You got anything to drink?”

“In the fridge.” Once he walked away, Ronan looked down at Chloe. “So that’s the whole tour. Like I said, not much to look at.”

“There’s plenty to see here. Thanks for letting me in.”

Ronan couldn’t help but think she was talking about more than the tour. They stood for a minute, their breaths synchronizing.

She licked her lips. “I guess I should be going.”

“I’ll walk you out.”

But neither of them moved. Locked in a trance.

From two rooms away, Declan yelled, “Jackpot! Pizza and beer.”

It was enough to jolt Ronan back.

“What was that?” Chloe asked.

“Fuck if I know.”

“But you felt it too,” she said with a smirk. “You’re not as impervious as you’d like to make me think.”

“I never said I was impervious. Just that I wouldn’t act on whatever this is.”

“Even if I promised it wouldn’t go anywhere? That I wasn’t looking for anything serious.”

“I wouldn’t believe you.” He swung out an arm for her to lead the way from the hall. “I’ll walk you to your car.”

“I can get to my car alone. I’m not scared to be out after dark.”

“I know.” Over his shoulder, he said, “I’ll be back in a minute.”

Declan nodded with a piece of pizza in one hand and a beer in the other. “Now you two behave yourselves.”

Outside, Chloe picked up the conversation again. “I meant what I said. I’m not looking for a serious relationship. We have some hot chemistry here. I’m just suggesting we act on it.”

They arrived at her car and she leaned against it.

“How do you see that working out, Chloe?”

“We have some great sex. Work it out of our systems, and then go on to be good neighborhood friends.”

He inched closer to her, not touching, but the heat from her skin called to him. He braced a hand on the roof of her car. “And what? When we see each other in the neighborhood, I smile and nod and pretend I’m not imagining you naked? Wave and forget the feel of your hot pussy on my dick, the taste of you on my tongue?”

She swallowed hard and nodded. “I can do it if you can. Pretend I don’t think about the ripple of your muscles beneath my fingers. Forget the press of your body between my thighs.”

All thought flew out of his head and he pressed against her. Their mouths crashed together with mashed lips and thrusting tongues. She gripped his shirt in her fists and wrapped her leg around the back of his thigh, pulling him into her. His cock throbbed. She tasted like summer—sweet and hot.

He reached under her shirt and palmed her tit, squeezing her nipple a bit, just enough to cause a gasp. When her mouth left his, he trailed open-mouthed, wet kisses across her jaw and down her neck. Her hips bucked as he sucked on her pulse point.

“Oh, God. Ronan.”

He straightened and focused on her beautiful, lust-filled face.

“Let’s go back inside,” she said.

“Declan’s inside.”

“Fuck.” She leaned her forehead on his chest. “At a time like this, I wish I owned a minivan. Something big and sprawling so you could stretch out for a proper fuck.”

He groaned. He’d never thought he’d hear Chloe McCarthy with such filthy words dripping from her tongue. It turned him on more. Maybe Brendan was right. They could fuck their way through the tension. “What time do you get off work tomorrow?”

She closed her eyes. Squinting, she said, “Midnight, unless it gets busy.”

“On a Monday?”

“Anything’s possible.”

“Not if I drive them all away. Any chance you can get off a little earlier?”

“What are you suggesting?”

“I can meet you at your place when you get home. Then we can finish this.”

She smiled. “I’m supposed to wait twenty-four whole hours?”

He skated his fingers down her front, circling each breast before moving to the juncture between her thighs. He rubbed his whole hand against the rough denim, applying enough pressure for her to sink against him. Her leg muscles clenched and moist heat radiated through the material. “Play with yourself tonight when you get home. Think about me and all the things you want me to do. Then tomorrow night, I’ll do them.”

He stepped back and took her hand. “Drive safely.”

She walked around to the driver’s side and got in. He waited on the curb until she pulled away. What the hell had he just gotten himself into? While he hoped Chloe would be able to sleep with him and forget it ever happened, he wasn’t sure he could.

Purchase In Too Deep from:

Shannyn is a part-time English teacher, part-time curriculum editor, and full-time mom, even though her kids are pretty self-sufficient teens. In her down time, she bakes cookies, reads romance, and watches far too much TV.

Places to find Shannyn Schroeder:

No comments:

Post a Comment

Comments which include links to other sites, or names including links WILL BE CONSIDERED SPAM AND DELETED.

Please be original in your comments. DO NOT comment on multiple posts with the SAME EXACT words. Duplicate comments WILL be considered and marked as spam.