Wednesday, August 26, 2026

Book Review ~ THE ROMANCE REWIND by Sarah Everett

The Romance Rewind
by: Sarah Everett
Genre: Teen/Young Adult Romantic Comedy
Release Date: June 23, 2026
Publisher: G.P. Putnam’s Sons Books for Young Readers

In this swoony and charming romcom with a twist, a 17-year-old goes back in time to relive her relationship and see where it went wrong.

Zadie expected her anniversary dinner with her boyfriend, Jason, to end with a dreamy promposal—not a breakup and a car crash!

When she wakes up in the hospital, she gets even worse news: Jason is in a coma. With nothing to do but wait by his side, Zadie is left wondering where the relationship went wrong and if anyone else knows about the breakup.

Suddenly, Zadie is catapulted back to their first date, trapped in a time loop she can't escape. To make matters worse, Jason's cousin Marcus is along for the ride, threatening to spill her secret. Can Zadie mend her relationship with Jason before he wakes up, or will Marcus shatter her hopes for a happily-ever-after?

For fans of The Do-Over and Check & Mate, get whisked away in this charming new rom-com abounding with betrayal, twists, and romance tropes.

The Romance Rewind by Sarah Everett wasn't the story I expected when I opened the book. I knew seventeen-year-old Zadie would be reliving her relationship with her ex-boyfriend, Jason, and I was expecting a time loop where she could change the past. However, that wasn't the case.

Zadie is transported via "dreamscapes" to specific moments with Jason, where she gains new perspectives on events. Sometimes she is alone. Other times, she’s with Jason’s cousin, Marcus, the bane of her existence. While they can talk to each other and walk through the scene, they cannot interact with the people around them.

I had high hopes for a fun teenage love story, but my hopes were quickly dashed. I didn't fully connect with Zadie, which made the story hard to enjoy at times. That said, there were parts of the story I liked, such as the development of the friendship between Zadie and Marcus. It’s through these dreams that Zadie makes important discoveries about herself, her friends, and her relationship with Jason. I was blown away by the unique, surprising twist Sarah added to the story.

All in all, The Romance Rewind was an enjoyable yet at times challenging read. Sarah is a new author for me, and I would definitely be open to reading another one of her books in the future.

~ Favorite Quotes ~

“Love is what you do when no one is watching.”

“Love should make you better, not worse.”


**Received a copy of the book from the publisher and voluntarily reviewed it.**

Rating: 3

Purchase The Romance Rewind from:
(Affiliate Links Used)

Sarah Everett is the author of several books for teens. Charlotte’s Web was the first book that ever made her cry, and while she despises spiders, she still has an abiding love of stories that move her. When she is not reading or writing, she is dreaming about summer, gearing up for her next travel adventure, perfecting her tree pose, or yodeling with her dog. She lives in western Canada.

Places to find Sarah Everett:

No comments:

Post a Comment

STOP!
Comments that include links to other sites, or names including links WILL BE CONSIDERED SPAM AND DELETED.