Saturday, September 26, 2026

ONE OF OUR DARCIES IS DEAD by Grace Caldwell ~ Character Interview & Giveaway

One of Our Darcies is Dead (Hawthorne Cove Mystery, #1)
by: Grace Caldwell
Series: Hawthorne Cove Mystery
Genre: Cozy Mystery
Release Date: September 1, 2026

The residents of Hawthorne Cove are determined to prove their seaside town deserves a place on every literary lover’s travel list. With a brand-new Jane Austen Festival, charming boutiques, and enough Regency flair to satisfy even the most devoted Austen fan, they’re ready for their grand debut. But when opening night ends with a dead Mr. Darcy, literature professor Chloe Sinclair, in town to escape a life that hasn’t gone to plan, learns that the most captivating stories aren’t always the ones written in books.
Hi Chloe. Welcome to Read Your Writes Book Reviews. How are you?
Thank you! I’m so excited to be here. I’m doing well! How are you?

I’m good. Thank you for asking. Please introduce yourself to readers.
I’m a professor of English Literature, though I have always secretly dreamed of leaving academia behind and opening a bookstore. I’m in my late thirties, am a voracious reader, and there are few things in life I appreciate more than a perfectly baked scone.

High five on the scone. Please tell us all about Hawthorne Cove.
Hawthorne Cove is basically a seaside Stars Hollow but with way more books. Because it gets cold in the New England winters, Hawthorne Cove has struggled to bring in enough tourists during the off-season, so they’ve decided to reinvent themselves as a literary town. Every shop has a literature-inspired name (Brontë’s Blooms, Poe’s Pub, etc.) and every dish from the local bakery is a literary pun. The Much Ado About Muffin is my favorite thing they make, but the Tart of Darkness is a close second. The town recently hired my best friend, Daphne, to plan and host a number of literary-themed festivals in an effort to bring in more visitors. That’s what brings me to Hawthorne Cove, actually. She’s organizing their inaugural Jane Austen Festival and convinced me to join her.

Can you please tell us about some people we’ll meet in your story?
There are several Mr. Darcies in this story, most of whom are actors, but one of whom is my cat, a giant, orange Maine Coon who never lets a crumb go uneaten. There is also a hound named Sherlock who lives at the Baskerville Bakery, which is run by a woman named Doris whose scones are only eclipsed by her literary puns. If you stop by her bakery, you must order the Sherlock Scones. I promise, it’ll change your life. I came to Hawthorne Cove to visit my best friend Daphne. She is my metaphorical partner in crime and my literal partner in investigation. She works with this guy Jack, who is a chef. She’s convinced I’m falling for him, but I maintain that I’m just a sucker for a British accent. Jack helps us out with investigating sometimes too, though I try not to ask him too often for fear of falling into the “damsel in distress” trope. That said, with bodies dropping, festivals on the line, and thousands of dishes that need to get sent out, everyone needs a little help sometimes. And then, there’s Detective Fletcher, the no-nonsense investigator who takes his job seriously and would very much like me to stop trying to do it.

Tell me about a defining moment in your life.
Six months ago, my fiancé left me at the altar, and it wrecked me. I’m doing my best not to turn into a real-life Miss Havisham, but I’m going to be honest, right now it’s kind of touch and go.

What’s your most prized possession?
A first edition copy of A Memoir of Jane Austen, which was written by her nephew, James Edward Austen-Leigh. It was given to me as a gift from my advisor when I successfully defended my dissertation.

Why do you feel the need to put on your sleuthing hat and investigate murders?
I love reading a good murder mystery, but starring in one was definitely never the plan. Historically, I’m much more of a behind-the-scenes kind of gal, but when the people I love are in trouble, or the things they care about are in jeopardy, I can’t stop myself from jumping in and doing everything in my power to help— even if that means masquerading as Sherlock Holmes while sneaking some of Doris’s Sherlock Scones.

What can readers expect from One of Our Darcies is Dead?
Strong female friendship, witty banter, slow-burn romance, fun literary references, delicious recipes, detailed food descriptions, and a very sassy cat.

Chloe, thank you so much for your time.
Thank you so much for having me!

Purchase One of Our Darcies is Dead from:
(Affiliate Links Used)

The Hawthorne Cove Mystery Series:
A Tale of Two Killers (Book 2) releases November 1, 2026

Grace Caldwell writes cozy mysteries for people who’d bring a book to a murder. An award-winning screenwriter and a professor of creative writing and literature, she’s published across more genres than she can reasonably list at a dinner party, but cozy mysteries are where she feels most at home. She lives in Central Florida with two fluffy feline assistants, Elsa and Anna, who supervise every page and approve of none of her deadlines.

Places to find Grace Caldwell:

You can follow the One of Our Darcies is Dead Blog Tour here.


2 comments:

  1. Thank you so much for featuring my book! I had an absolute blast writing the interview and am so honored to have had the chance to do it!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You're welcome. Thank you for stopping by. Congratulations on your new release!

      Delete

STOP!
Comments that include links to other sites, or names including links WILL BE CONSIDERED SPAM AND DELETED.